Happy weekend, friends!
I am REALLY excited to share this curry recipe with you today. I have been on the hunt for an easy & satisfying curry for awhile now. I’ve tried several recipes that were good….but not great. But after playing around and testing different spice ratios and ingredients, I’ve discovered a go-to recipe that satisfies my curry needs. It has just the right amount of warmth for my tastebuds, while not being overpowering to where they only thing you taste is heat. I’m a big fan!
This is a vegetarian curry. While I am not a vegetarian, we try (emphasis on try) to go meatless once a week for dinner, for health and financial reasons. Meat is expensive!
And like all my recipes, the ingredient list is totally manageable! Here’s what you’ll need.
First thing you’ll want to do is chop up your veggies and throw them in a skillet with some olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper till softened.
Time to add our spices and garlic! YUM. Cook until spices are nice and fragrant. Your kitchen will begin to smell awesome.
Now time for a big glob of red curry paste. (hehe glob is a funny word).
Mix in the paste with your veggies, and add your coconut milk and chickpeas.
A note about coconut milk: you might notice from my mediocre iPhone pictures that the curry looks a bit “gritty”. This is because the brand of coconut milk I used doesn’t use any additives (like guar gum) to keep it smooth. It doesn’t affect the taste at all, but something you want to be aware of when grocery shopping. When I first used this brand, I thought it had gone bad! Thank goodness for google.
ANYWAYS. Back to the recipe. Mix in your chickpeas, and squirt in some sriracha!
Let it simmer for a bit, and throw in some cilantro. That’s it! Now you get to eat it! YAY!
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion
1 red bell pepper
1 cup baby carrots
Pinch of salt & pepper
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp. curry powder
1/2 tbsp. turmeric
1/4 tbsp. ground ginger
1.5 tbsp. red curry paste
1 can regular coconut milk
1 can chickpeas
Sriracha to taste (I used about 1 tsp.)
1/4 cup cilantro
1. Slice your pepper, carrots, and onion lengthwise. Heat your olive oil over medium/high and add your veggies with a dash of salt and pepper. Cook for about 6-8 minutes until softened. If you’d like, you can cover with a lid to speed up the process.
2. When the veggies have softened, add diced garlic and your spices. Stir to combine and cook for about 1 minute, until fragrant.
3. Add in the curry paste and mix thoroughly.
4. Add the coconut milk and stir to combine.
5. Add the chickpeas and stir to combine. Simmer over medium heat for 5-8 minutes.
6. Add sriracha to taste.
7. Add chopped cilantro, stir, and simmer for about two minutes.
That’s it! Serve over rice and you’ve got a warm and delicious meal. Easy on your budget and packed with veggies, you can’t go wrong! I really hope you give this recipe a try. If you don’t love it, change it till you do! That’s what makes cooking fun. (: